Microneedling has quickly become one of the most popular cosmetic treatments in recent years. The minimally invasive treatment is nearly painless but offers fantastic results for a variety of skin conditions, making it a great option for numerous patients. Keep reading to learn more about the microneedling process and its’ benefits..
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that uses fine needles to stimulate the body’s healing process. Patients begin with a numbing gel spread over the area to prevent discomfort. Once the area is numb, an instrument loaded with a number of very fine needles is passed over the skin numerous times to create microscopic punctures. In response to these punctures, the body begins a natural healing process that produces collagen and elastin. This causes the skin to tighten and pores to shrink, resulting in smoother, firmer skin.
Microneedling with PRP (platelet rich plasma) takes the process one step further by adding the benefits of platelets that speed wound healing. A blood sample is taken from the patient, then separating the PRP from the rest of the blood. The PRP is then either spread over the treated area topically or given through an injection. A topical treatment is more beneficial as it covers a broader area. The plasma then speeds healing, increases collagen production, promotes new cell growth, and rejuvenates the skin.
Recovery from the microneedling treatment is fairly quick. Most patients’ skin appears a bit pink the next day but returns to normal a couple days after the procedure. The skin continues to heal for weeks after the procedure, however, so the patient will notice improved smoothing and firmness as time passes.
Benefits of Microneedling
Since microneedling can be used to treat such a large variety of skin ailments, the benefits are numerous.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Microneedling causes new skin cells to form, which eliminates fine lines like crow’s feet and even deeper forehead wrinkles. Some doctors believe the process can help prevent these lines from forming as well.
- Repairs acne scars. Studies show that microneedling is nearly 100% effective in improving acne scars. The severity of the scarring determines what length needles should be used, however–while a shorter needle works well for minor scarring, severe scarring requires longer needles and must be done by a professional. These scars are deep below the surface of the skin and the longer needles result in a more effective treatment.
- Repairs sun damage. Many patients who have spent their summers drenched in sun have visible damage. Blotches and brown pigmentation are caused by melasma, and microneedling can help reverse this condition by generating new skin cells.
- Tightens loose skin. As we age, our skin looses elasticity and tends to droop. This happens because the older we get, the less collagen we produce. Microneedling can help to replace that lost collagen production and tighten loose skin, reversing the aging process.
- Shrinks pores. Let’s face it–there’s nothing worse than looking in the mirror and seeing hundreds of giant pores staring back at you. Pores shrink after a microneedling treatment because the increase in collagen causes the skin to plump, reducing the size of pores or making them disappear altogether.
- Makes your beauty products more efficient. Slathering a bunch of treatments over clogged pores isn’t going to do much, and that is why many of us don’t see the results we desire from our beauty products. Microneedling opens up hundreds of tiny holes in the skin, allowing beauty products to be absorbed much more effectively.
Microneedling has become so popular because of its’ versatility in treating a variety of conditions. Few side effects and virtually zero downtime make it much more appealing than other treatments, and the fact that it can be done anywhere on your body is incredibly convenient. If you are looking for a minimally invasive way to reduce wrinkles, reverse sun damage, or clear up scarring, microneedlingmay be a great option for you!